Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Eternal Flame: Oh! Susanna


Yesterday, I was surfing YouTube when I stumbled upon a video of Susanna Hoffs singing Eternal Flame which was taken in Yokohama, Japan in ‘96. I played the video and some wonderful memories came back of the good ol’ days. In spite of her somewhat odd fashion sense in the video which was obviously dated; the clothes, bad hair day and all, still I came out enamored with her.

The first time I saw her was on MTV singing Eternal Flame in the early 90s. Of course, to people growing up in the 80s Susanna Hoffs is widely known as one of the vocalists of the all- female band The Bangles who first broke out into the music scene with their version of Simon & Garfunkel’s A Hazy Shade of Winter as part of the soundtrack of the movie Less Than Zero which featured a young Robert Downey, Jr among others.

Also, a very good friend of mine loved them to death and was part of the Bangle-mania that swept the teenage girls population in the Philippines in the 80s to the early 90s. In fact, she used to cajole me to play my acoustic guitar for her while she sings Eternal Flame ala Susanna while we pass the time on the banks of the lazy Yawa River in Legaspi during our college days.

It has been 20 years since to the day that I have seen her sing on MTV and yet I can honestly say that-

I am still a fan of the song, I still like her voice and I still love those beautiful bedroom eyes.

Oh! Susanna.


Susanna Hoffs: Eternal Flame from Andy Cafa on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Marvelous song, and marvelous voice. I loved this music when I was in high school, and I still do. Thank you for the blog post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails